Vancouver General SoN Alumnae Association
Originally created in 1984, there have been additional donations from the Alumnae Association, former graduates, and from the proceeds of sale of the VGH Manor. The Alumnae Association is pleased to be able to provide funding for graduates and now their children as they continue to develop in their careers.
The Vancouver City Hospital Training School for Nurses commenced in 1899. The name was changed in 1902 to the VGH Training School. A combined UBC/VGH nursing program commenced in 1919 and existed until 1958 when UBC implemented its own undergraduate program. In 1989, a collaborative nursing program was established with the UBC School of Nursing. The last VGH class graduated in 1991. Until May, 1998, the students graduated with a BSN degree from UBC. At that time, VGH withdrew funding for the collaborative program. The school graduated 8,768 new nurses over 99 years.
The generous donation from Vancouver General SoN Alumnae Association funds undergraduate and graduate studies for alumni and direct descendants.